Three days I embarked on the ‘5 Fun Things’ challenge, a contest with myself to do a minimum of one thing every day–just for the heck of it. This is an attempt to lighten up, enjoy life, and rest more.
So, what have I done so far?
As much as I liked OutstandingBachelor’s idea to page myself at work without disguising my voice, I work in a factory and I was afraid the supervisor would give me the gears if I called “Geralyn to Geralyn” over the two-way radio. I can’t afford to get on her bad side right now. 🙂
Day 1: Friday
1. I drew ‘Crash Test Dougie’ in the dust on the encapsulator machine. Crash Test Dougie is a stick man with buckteeth and a big hat, whom I used to scrawl over my physics homework in high school. Instead of being filled in with dust, Dougie became more and more distinct as the day went on.
2. Canceled the supper menu, which was tomato soup (who eats tomato soup on Friday night? Boring!) and made pizza instead.
3. Invented a Pumpkin Spice Latte Frappe/Protein Shake. It’s more intense than Starbucks and without the high-fructose corn syrup!
4. Watched three episodes of The Mentalist with my sister.
Day 2: Saturday
1. Rerouted my run through a park so I could look at the flowers. I discovered ornamental cabbages.
2. Went to a fireworks show. They shot the fireworks off to Disney tunes!
Day 3: Sunday
1. Shot guns with my brother.
2. Went on an ‘adventure run’. I ran through my parents’ acreage–terrain composed of knee high grass, wildflowers, and the occasional ‘cow pie.’
Am I accomplishing the point?
I’m learning to keep my eyes open for fun, and then seize the opportunity when it comes. I hope to make this a habit.
It reminds me of Jim Carey’s ‘Yes Man,’ where he says ‘yes’ to everything people ask him to do.
I’d say to myself, “Run through the park and look at the flowers.”
“No, I’m tired.”
(Weedling, now) “It’ll be fun.”
Or, Jon says, “Do you want to come shoot with me?”
(Internally) “But I have stuff to do!”
“Oh c’mon, it’ll be fun.”
(Externally) “Oh, okay.”
I used to live by the philosophy that to refuse adventure was to impeach my courage and honour. Maybe this challenge will restore some of my former spirit. Two days to go. Will you join me?
2 thoughts on “5 Fun Things Challenge: Day 3 Proof of Life”
Sounds like a great idea Geralyn! By the way, I have been enjoying your blog. I know I haven’t commented before, but I do enjoy it and find you have a lot of good things to say and say them well! Keep it coming!
Thanks, Helen! And thanks for reading!